« Home | Weekly List: Top ten most surprising games » | the 16-bitter is AWESOME! »

Weekly list: top 5 things not to be excited about


I'm a little late this week, but bear with me...

Well, there are many gamers out there who love a console launch holiday. All the buzz whizzing past, all the news of companies playing dirty, and picking sides. This weekly list is kind of the opposite; things not to be excited about. Don't get your hopes up, folks.

5. Wii ports disasters
(Not to be confused with Wii Sports disasters ;) )We all know it's going to happen. A great game is going to come out for the traditional control systems, and the developers and publishers are going to get the 'bright' idea of porting the game to the Wii, and it will be a complete disaster. Developers are going to have to limit their porting to worthy, Wii-like games, I don't think the third-person, action-adventure standard will work well as a port. Sure, Twilight Princess makes 'good work' of the Wii controls, but upon playing the game, it's obvious that the game was designed for the GameCube, for better or for worse. While I'm excited about the multiplicitous ways gaming might be going on the Wii, the standard, I'm afraid, ain't gonna cut it anymore. And until developers find a way to implement it well, we'll see plenty of crap ports over the next few months or so.

4. Dreamcast's "real" death
Being the newest system I own, I always look forward to brand new titles coming out for the little noisy white box, even if they are just straight coin-op ports. I utterly dread the day where I will not be looking forward to anything developing on the Dreamcast, and it might come some time next year. Last Hope has been suggested as a Dreamcast port, and Trigger Heart Excelsia looks to be another fantastic shooter, both debuting for the Dreamcast in 2007, but I'm starting to feel the support for this dilapidated haven start to crumble, and it's disconcerting. Especially when it's been supported so strongly, years after it's official death. It's going to be the end of an era, belive it or not.

3. Retro consoles burning out
Rocking a Sega CD? A 32X? Still playing them? Well, you're the lucky ones. It always seems that with one generation appearing, another disappears. If you have an Atari 2600, it's almost 30 years old now. An NES is 21 years old, and the years are starting to wear down on my Sega CD, and it's only 14 years old. I may be thinking pessimistically, but it's a subtle reminder to take care of your retro consoles! Show them some love! Play the systems you have in your closet collecting dust, because they need to be played to keep them alive!

2. Re-buying retro games
How great is XBLA? And the Virtual Console? What could be better? Owning the original cartridge, that's what; and playing the game on the hardware for which it was intended. Paying to play Gunstar Heroes on anything other than a 3-button, oversized Genesis pad is rediculous. Paying to play (yet again) another console iteration of Dig-Dug, as if all the Namco Museums didn't push the Dig-Dug card enough. Whatever happened to downloading roms to get your retro going where it wasn't supposed to? Want to play Gunstar on an awkward, not-Genesis controller, get DCGenerator for the Dreamcast, and do it for free. Want to replay your favorite SNK fighter against your friend? Download WinKawaks and go online with them, and do it for free. Re-buying games you have already is sheer bullocks.

1. The move to HD
Sure, the picture quality is great. But I don't want to spend thousands of dollars buying a TV that's smaller than my PC monitor. I certainly don't want to miss out on the nextgeneration of gaming because I'm poor, and HD is the "wave of the future", apparently. I'm completely fine with my 1980s RCA, as horribly 'old codger' as it is to say. Technology is supposed to help us, not bite us in the ass, and a 4,000 dollar HDTV is definitely a bite in my college-attending ass. I'm not looking forward to the time when I simply won't have an option.

These few things have been bugging me for a while, and it's almost all due to the new generation, butting out the old. I'm sorry, but better games came out for systems 20 years older than the PS3, and they weren't pushing HD, Blu-Ray bullshit.

I think it's probably because I love my tv, and there's nothing wrong with it, and if not being able to display 1080p is a fault, then there's something wrong with that. Especially if mending the issue will cost over 1,000 USD.

Your TV is a floor model Zenith from the 70's with a broken remote and a sensor that turns down the brightness when lights are out. It is a fossil. Bare in mind mine from '91 is also old as hell and I have been looking forward to an upgrade. You love your TV for it faults, maybe the same way you love old systems. Maybe there is a commonality here, fear of change, regression. Tell me about your childhood, why do you need oversized appliances which you then claim are better for being "hearty". Blah Blah, start crying.

Post a Comment